ANC members defend Jacob Zuma over his Nkandla homestead saga

imagesANC MPs on September 30 2014 defended President Jacob Zuma, as they say he is not responsible for security upgrades at his homestead in Nkandla.

The Public Protector, Thuli Madonsela report this year outlined that, President Jacob Zuma and his family had improperly benefited from the spending on non-security matters at Nkandla, and she recommended that he repay some R246m in state funds spent on his private homestead in Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal.

ANC MP Mmamoloko Kubayi said that, the ANC comes out too strongly on saying that, president Jacob Zuma never requested anything related to security upgrades at his home in Nkandla. He also stated that, the president did not receive any money.

Thuli Madonsela invested on and shaped a report that seems to have hit the bosses of the Luthuli House sideways. She found that Zuma violated the Executive Ethics Code and that his conduct was inconsistent with the Constitution by not trying to limit the R246 million state expenditure on upgrades at his estate, as Ranjeni Munusamy, a writer on Daily Maverick.

Minsters started to defend president Jacob Zuma since last year, as Public Works Minister, Thulas Nxesi said claims that state funds were used to build security upgrade of President Jacob Zuma’s private Nkandla residence were unproven.

Another ANC MP, Mathole Motshekga told the committee that, majority of legal thinkers agreed with the president’s view that the investigation put forward by the public protector were not binding. Motsekga said that it was wrong for the Public Protector to order President Jacob Zuma to apply her findings before they were well thought-out by Parliament, and to have given Zuma 14 days to answer back to her report on Nkandla released in March.

According to a report by the Citizen online news on September, Water and Sanitation Minister, Miss Nomvula Mokonyane says ANC members and Cabinet ministers will use everything to protect president Zuma. She was quoted saying this in Sotho language “Re tlo thiba ka dibono” [We will defend with our buttocks] she was quoted by the Sowetan newspaper as saying at the launch of a water project in Marite, Mpumalanga.

Miss Makonyane said, the attacks over Nkandla are not on Zuma only, but are also on the ANC. She added that Jacob Zuma will finish his term, even if there are a lot of controversially statements and actions are taking place.

ANC threaten parliamentary committee to withdraw investigations that are made at looking at the Nkandla security upgrades.

Julius Malema, the Economic Freedom Front leader said, the opposition is ready to take the matter to the Constitutional Court because the law did not allow the legislature to review the public protector’s findings.

ANC general secretary Gwede Mantashe said after Nkandla upgrade report was released that, members in the ANC who failed the conduct of their duties should face the suitable consequences. The ANC didn’t mentioned or clarify their statement on what suitable consequence the ANC will do to their president over Nkandla upgrades.

by Siyabonga Mtati

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s